Issue changing tag colors

I’m using the sidecar method of storing tag data for my files. I notice that if I apply a tag to a file, then change the color of that tag from the tag library, the tags already applied to files do not get their color updated. One must first delete that tag then re-add it. Is there no way to make this work?

I notice the help docs say this:
Editing the name of a tag or deleting one from the library tags will only affect the library itself. If the same tag had had already been applied to a file, the tag on that file will remain intact. **But if you change the color of a tag in the library, it will be reflected on the files marked with that tag as well.**

I assume it’s only talking about the “file name” tagging method, as I’m not seeing this behaviour, unless I’m missing something?

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Try that option a couple of times (without having to rename or delete the existing tag), and it usually works for me.

I appreciate the reply, but that only seems to update the tag colours within that tag group in the tag library. It doesn’t seem to affect tags already applied to files.

To clarify the steps:

1. Create a tag in the tag library - let’s say the colour is blue
  2. Apply that tag to a file - you’ll see the tag applied to the file is blue
  3. Change the colour of the tag in the library, either the tag itself, or via the “default tag group” options in the screenshot in the previous post - let’s say, change it to red
  4. Expected: The tag applied to the file should be red. Actual: The tag applied to the file is still blue.

I am experiencing exactly the same issue!

Rename of Multiple Tags I think your issues is also covered in this request!